I always get nervous carrying too much in my makeup bag, as I have misplaced a couple in my life and it’s expensive to replace everything. So I now like to keep things simple and just carry the basics. Enough to maintain my day look and transform quickly for an after work dinner or drinks.
Here are 5 of my must haves, which have all been tried and tested in my kit.
- Flakey, drew lips are never a good look. I find a multi use balm like the Lanolips LemonAid ointment works really well on my lips throughout the day to keep them soft and hydrated. It’s also handy for other dry spots on your body which need a quick fix, like cuticles or elbows. But my top tip for soft lips is to make sure you keep up your water intake. If you’re dehydrated, your lips will show it first. I’m always reminding my models to drink water on shoots. www.lanolips.com
- A good concealer/ foundation stick to cover any spots, redness and even the under eye area is a must. The Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick has been a staple in my kit for years; it gives a great coverage without looking heavy or cake. The colour range is really comprehensive as well. So whether your complexion resembles Naomi Campbell or Nicole Kidman, Bobbi has you covered. You can apply with your fingers, straight from the tube or with a brush. www.bobbibown.com.au
- MAC has a great range of kohl eye pencils, which are perfect for adding depth to your lash line and creating thicker looking lashes. Teddy is one of my favourites, it’s a soft bronzy brown, perfect for day and will also take you into night. You can create a quick smoky eye, by applying along the lash line and smudging out with your finger or a brush. Try popping it inside your lower lid on the water line for a more dramatic sexy eye. They also carry darker colours for a more intense look. www.maccosmetics.com.au
- I’m all about space saving and convenience in my makeup bag and NARS is as well. This bronzer/blush combo featuring the cult products, Laguna and Orgasm is perfect for giving your skin a bronzed, pink/peachy glow that suits nearly everyone. use them together or separately to tailor the look you’re after. www.meccacosmetica.com.au
- Day and night lip stick/glass options. I find two colours are enough to see me through most days and into the evenings. A nude shade just like your lips is what everyone needs. Then a dramatic pop of colour is great for night or day